Monday, September 1, 2008

Dolphin swimming and opening ceremony

Alright. So this weekend was an interesting one.

On saturday morning, some of the office people from the school and my predecessor's friend and I, went dolphin swimming at about 8am. I was warned about seasickness, but I forgot to take my nausea pills, but I did put on sunscreen...I got on the boat, and I didnt think that the seasickness would be that bad. Boy, did I underestimate that!! Ive never been seasick, and I didnt think I ever would be - this wasnt my first time in the ocean, afterall. So, the first dive. I get in, and instantly I feel awful, but I manage to regain myself, and even to see the dolphins as they swam underneath me. Then we got back in the boat to follow them. Sitting on the boat, strattling the side of the boat waiting for the cue to go back in, I threw up. Then I got in the water, feeling better, washing off a bit, the dolphins were amazing! They were going in and out of the water and were having a lot of fun. Then as we neared the boat to get back in, I suddenly got extremely sick and threw up a good 4 times while in the water (ew), empyting my stomach of the cup of tea and the 3 spoonfuls of pudding I managed to eat in the morning. I sat out the next one, which was too bad, because apparently that one was the best one, because they saw a turtle. The next one I went in, and that was great! The last one I went into because the dolphins were clearly playing around (we werent allowed to touch them), and just as I hit the water I felt ill again and gaged, but with nothing to throw up, it was awful, and I didnt see anything.
So we got back on the boat and started to sail back to Miyake Jima, while I laid down on the boat, trying not to be sick again.
So, all in all, it was good, but would have been amazing had I not forgotten to take some pills.
Then I got home, washed off the salt, and then I noticed it: I was completely burnt from my stomach to my knees. The rest of the night was spent with icepacks and soaking in the tub. I had no will to eat, but I managed to eat about 2 bowls of miso soup. Sleeping that night was not very easy, but I managed.

The next day, Paulette, my predecessor, was over because she was packing her things, which I let her keep at my place til she got organized and when she finished, we went out to buy me some aloe and get some food...
The first stop was the post office. The second at the yoga instructor's place, because Paulette had been sleeping there and needed to grab the last of her things. It was about 30 degrees outside and the humidex was at about 97%. At this time I had eaten 2 bowls of soup and a can of mango juice within the last 32 hours or so,plus I was sunburnt. I started to get a headdache, and just as we were about to leave, I lost my balance and fainted (though I didnt go unconcious and I was completely in control, and I didnt hurt myself or anything...just I have never fainted before). After about a minute or so I got back up and the Yoga instructor's wife gave me a glass of water and some tylenol, as the instructor came back and gave me some aloe leaves to put on my sunburns. I felt fine then, and we decided that we should eat before anything happened again.
So we went to a restaurant and I had this curry-rice fried-chicken thing (which was good, if not a bit spicy), and one of Paulette's friends joined us. Then it was time to go to the ship, where several people from the school were there to send Paulette off. There were SO many ribbons (which I guess is the traditional way of sending someone off by boat), and everyone said their goodbyes as Paulette left towards the horizon to Tokyo, to maybe come back someday.
After that, some of the teachers and I went snorkeling, which again was amazing - we were out for a good hour and a half! I saw these sea-spider things, a really long fish, some huge fish, other kinds of tropcial fish, and a plethera of other kinds of things I had never seen before. Then I went home to do dishes, laundry and ironing (which was really hard to do, considering the sunburn).

Today was the opening ceremony. There isnt really much to say about it. The whole time it was extremely hot and everyone was staning for the whole thing (standing for half an hour in extreme heat is not easy), and I think one of the students felt ill. First the Principle came up to introduce me, and I said my speech in english (which was just Hi My name is carla, I come from here, this is my major, this is what Id like to do in miyake, polite polite, kaybye! - I spoke in english while 2 girls translated - though I think I could have said it all in Japanese, but I guess the English teacher wanted the kids to translate instead). Then some awards were given out and then we went back. The students were allowed to go home, but the teachers have to remain at school, which is why I am at the school now. I have a meeting today to talk about english classes and how they work, I suppose.

I start teaching tomorrow!
Wish me luck!

1 comment:

noaperi said...

when i was out west last summer my folks went to see whales, and i was like.. ya, no thanks.. they all came back green, they were so sick... haahaa...

glad to hear you're settling down and diggin' the scene!
GOOD LUCK TOMORROW!!!

xoxo
ze ledderzimmer mistress...