Thursday, August 21, 2008

so it turns out I really like having a blog. Writing emails is too much work.

I hope that everyone who is interested is reading this, cause I'm not sending emails...I'll get around to postcards, except that I dont think they sell them on miyake (which is wierd cause they have miyake keychains). I wont get to Tokyo until September.
Speaking of September, apparently you can get some major discounts on airfare if you travel within 2 weeks before/after your birthday! SO...if any JETS are reading this...who wants company??
So. this week. Well, monday was tough cause the internet was down. And I didn't have a book on me, so I went swimming...They have a HUGE pool on the roof of the school! And its heavenly to swim in! I had a paid vacation yesterday (I think) and we were supposed to go dolphin swimming, but the captain said the waves were too high and it would be dangerous...so I stayed at home and watched the olympics. My modem came in (yay!), but Im still waiting on something else in order for my internets to start working.
The English teacher and another teacher gave me a present today! An Inkkan!! For those who don't know what this is, In Japan, you have this stamp with your name on it that acts as your signature. They are all handmade and are original, so its really hard to get a duplicate, that being said they are extremely expencive and important in order to sign certain documents, and in some cases, you'll need one to get things like a bank account. It is really such a nice gift. I so dont know how to use it...
Some island information! The good things and the bad, what I've discovered thus far.
I am gonna start with the bad and end with the good. I think that's more optimistic.
The worst thing about the island are the electronic boxes. They go off at 7am, 12 noon and 5pm announcing I think the weather, everyday. Which isn't that bad - I dont need an alarm clock in the morning...Its the other, random times it goes off due to gas warnings. Im beginning to understand them. Paulette says that the sound it makes before the announcement indicates what level the gas is, and then you listen for where the gas is. If its really bad you can just smell it (it gives me a headdache). The language barrier isnt that bad, but I can see it getting to me eventually. I dont have a phone yet, and I tried to get one last week, but I need my gaijin card which I havent recieved yet. Transportation is an issue, because you really do need something to get around faster than your legs...
Now the goods. The people. The people are SO nice and SO accomodating. I manage to get a ride to school everyday by someone, and the JTE put a message on the blackboard asking anyone who has something they can give me to tell him. So far I've recieved a bed (my favourite thing), a table (my second favourite thing), a chest or drawers, a plastic chest of drawers, a rice cooker and a frying pan. I gave the teachers a box of chocolates I bought in Choshi when I went to see Hitomi last week. I think they were well recieved. I wrote a note saying 'everyone, thanks for everything'...in my bad Japanese. I hope it was okay. I am planning on setting out my Canadian candies when school starts so that other teachers I havent met yet can have something too. I am definately becomming more comfortable around here. I went to the store the other day and everyone was like 'Its the new english teacher!' it was kinda nice. The island is beautiful and once I figure out how to explore it I will.

As for people who want to visit me, I give you this advice:
Come in the summerish times...apparently there isnt much to do in the winter (all there is to do is swim, which you cant do in the winter) and I dont know if I will be able to entertain you.
I dont have a car yet, but I hope I will get a moped or a vespa at some point, so again, everything will be by foot, and its a long walk to the good spots, unless you catch a bus, which goes around the island once every hour or two.
The top of the mountain is restricted and no busses go there, so if you want to visit it, you'll have to wait til I get a vehicle.
Bring aquatic gear. The snorkeling is amazing!!

anyway, Im getting disctracted. The internet is pretty and it soon shall be MINE (at home)

Planning a trip to Tokyo in september if anyone wants to join?

No comments: