Friday, August 8, 2008

Im heeeeere!

I have arrived!! (in advance, sorry for the lack of apostrophes. I cant find them on this keyboard...in fact, any typo you can assume is because of the keyboard - that, and it seems Im already starting to lose my english) Also, this is going to be very unflowy and ADDish because I am still jetlagged.
What can I say? not much is happening, although it seems that I have a LOT of work ahead of me in my house. I dont have any furniture and I have to set up my curtains and things, as well as get my kitchen organized and catch up on my sleep.
the island is really pretty, and so unlike anything Ive ever seen before! There is a lot of greenery, but there are also trees that are completely dead - they look like driftwood, only upright and still in the ground - and there is a constant coo of bugs. There was a cockroach in my cabinet...a bigass thing! It was HUGE! so gross...but it seems the bugs are even welcoming! Yesterday a couple that runs a grocery shop gave me an old rice cooker, and one of the teachers gave me a cup from his parents sushi restaurant on the mainland.
Yesterday when I arrived there were a bunch of people from the school waving Canadian flags to welcome me!! It was so nice, but I didnt know what to do! I kind just stood there smiling awkwardly. Everyone here is really welcoming. Yesterday we just went around to get me a residency card (or something) and a gas mask and things. I will take pictures, but my camera hasnt arrived yet...nor has my big suitcase with all my clothes in it...
Most people here try their best to speak english, so that isnt really much of an issue. the only problem is that everything they can stay in english I can say in japanese, so there is no way to communicate the more complicated things! I cant wait for my DS so I have a dictionary.
I am still very tired, and I really want a day to just sleep off the past two weeks. I actually got my first whole-nights sleep last night! I still have a headdache though, which could be the sulfur (but it doesnt seem that the island smells that bad). They are having a welcome party for me tonight, so I probably wont get much sleep til the weekend.
They werent kidding when they said I only work 16 days! I got to choose my days this month today and I am working everyday (except next tuesday, which I scheduled off so I can do housework) until the 27th! so I am getting 5 whole days off at the end of the month! wh00t!
My registration card wont be coming for a few weeks and I cant say when Ill have the internet at home, but so far I am using the computers at the school.
My house is HUGE! There are 3 rooms!! I dont even know what to do with them, especially since AC is only in one room! The floors were cleaned and the bathtub is new (that was fun to figure out yesterday). Everything is run on gas too, which is nice. I have no furniture, so I might have to go get some of that, unless Paulette still has things to give me, which is entirely possible, so I dont know if I should venture to the mainland quite yet.
Im tired. Im gonna nap. but dont tell anyone. I dont know if its allowed!!

4 comments:

Tai said...

Hey Carla! I missed your send off man!!! Hope all is well over there, and I hope to get the chance to come over and visit you. Hugs from far away and don't work too hard!!


Tai

Jibberty McGumblefox said...

you know me. When have I ever worked hard? :P
You totally should!! Im sorry I missed your sister!

Tai said...

Ah, that's alright. She had a lot of fun here and wants to come back for Christmas!! So far you've said that the island you're on is smelly, what's up with that?!?!

Jibberty McGumblefox said...

from the sulphuric toxic gas from the volcano...but its not that smelly...not until the alarm goes off...