Monday, August 11, 2008

new address

Okay. so my NEW address is
Carla Weigel
100-1211 miyakemura
Tsubota 2975
Osato jutaku
1-105

So I guess this is where you can send stuff, if you so desire.

This weekend! Well, on saturday sugawara-san took me to see the island. We went snorkeling and saw tonnes of tropical fish (we found nemo!), including a blowfish (oooooh), and we went to the volcano (shh, its a secret!) and we went to an elementary school that was destroyed by the lava in the eruption in the 80's! Turns out the volcano eurupts every 30-40 years, and the last euption wasnt one with lava and that stuff, rather sulphur levels became too high which caused the evactuation. The top is really cool. it looks like hell cause all the trees are dead from the suphur, but the branches are all there. it looks like driftwood. But we also went to a convervation area or something of the sort, which kind of showed how beautiful miyake used to be before the eruption.
I bought some fish. Salmon, I think. The only spice I have in my house right now is nutmeg. So I put soysauce and nutmeg on the fish and broiled it... and it tasted really good! I also made up a soup of green onion, fish sauce, soba noodles and soy sauce, which also worked out well. man its easy to cook Japanese food! :)

I cant get over how nice everyone is! One of the teachers gave me a chest of drawers, another gave me a table AND a sofa (that turns into a bed! A bed!! I have a bed now!! yaaay! Before I had a fouton (which is basically a matress and some thick blankets that are placed on a tatami mat on the floor which you have to fold up everyday so that it doesnt get mouldy) that was missing a mattress, so the idea of a bed is fantastic!! gee!!
They are planning on going swimming on the 20th, and I am going to tokyo on tuesday to see hitomi for a few days!
so far, Japan is very nice...I can see myself getting lonely easily if I dont get out of my shell, but I think I can manage! I hope that the other JETs come visit, along with you peoples from Canadia!

I think that's all to report for now!
Carla out!

3 comments:

Tincanoe said...

Hey I don't wanna bring up negative thoughts but if the last eruption was in the 80's and it erupts every 30 years, should you be concerned?? :P Make sure you know where you can get onto a boat quickly ;) Hope you're having fun!

Jibberty McGumblefox said...

well, technically the eruption was 5 years ago, even though there was no lava...the next one I think they are expecting in the 20's or 30's
the boat only comes once a day...tee hee?

Tai said...

Yay! I'm sending you a postcard by the end of this week!!! I agree about the volcanos I think I'd be so paranoid. Anywho, you should be fine. Hope all is well.