Thursday, August 7, 2008

uuugh

ok. so yesterday was a combination of rockage ans suckage.
I woke up at 4am unable to fall back asleep. Went for a good breakfast, managed to do some computer stuff, but later found that I have a splitting headdache, so I go downstairs to get some coffee to find that it's closed and I have to go to the 42nd floor to get a cup of coffee!! So I go, get my coffee, talk to a girl for a bit, then return to my room. Next thing I know it's 10:00 and I was late to check out! So I quickly get organized and go to check out. I go to check out, and of course I didn't do any room service or anything like that, but I find that my roomates left me their overseas call bill (classy)!! Turns out that one of them told them the bill was mine!! So, either the first one checked out and a) it was hers, and she forgot about it, b) it was hers and she told them it was mine (as opposed to the other roommate, who is her friend), c) it wasn't hers and told them it was mine (even though she knew it was the other girls), d) it wasn't hers and decided to just let it go. The second one either a) it was hers and told them it was mine or b) it wasnt hers, and rather than paying half of it or something like that, she just tells them it's me, though she fully knows it wasnt mine (because she saw me on skype, and I let her use mine) or c) the previous girl told them it was mine so they didnt bother asking her. Anyway now I'm just pissed off. I'm tired and have a headdache and was stuck with a bill that wasnt mine (the bill wasn't expencive, but still it sucked)! The Japanese people from the ministry I met the day before meet me and after waiting for a while, I meet my supervisor. We walked the in sweltering heat to the board of education and had a little orientation, they gave me 150000 yen (1500) for 'moving expenses' (yay!) then we go for a decent lunch (about $8.50) and I told her a bit about Canada and about the JET application and other small talk. Then we went to my hotel, I paid for it (which I'm told I'll get back), and met with the English Teacher on Miyake Island who was supposed to help me go shopping, but he decided that we didnt really need to go shopping, because I should have everything I'll need for at least a little while, so then we called Hitomi and we went to the electronic-big section of tokyo (apparently it's famous), and we went for coffee while we waited for Hitomi to show up. We missed her first call, but after a while she met up with us and everything was good. The teacher decided I guess that it would be better for Hitomi and I to hang out together and left us to our own devices (I felt kinda bad...). Hitomi brought me to a bunch of stores in Tokyo, then we realized I had left my camera in the precious hotel!! So we got them to send it to Miyake (which will prolly cost a lot) and continued on with the rest of the day. Things in Japan are expensive, but food is pretty decent. Drinks cost between 110-300 yen, generally, but you can get a meal for under 1000. The first night I was in Tokyo, my noodle bowl cost 380 yen (The yen works like CAN money. consider 113 yen $1.13, and 10225 yen is about $102.25, etc. It gets confusing when speaking about it).
So then that was fun. I saw a tonne of things I'd get for people and got to see the mainish areas of tokyo. Later we met with my predecessor, Paulette, and the another island JET, Rob as well as his friend, and two other people i have no idea who they are (while hitomi went home because it was getting late for her) and went to a pubish kind of place. After an interesting dinner we went met up with another island JET, Tyler, and his either girlfriend or sister (I think sister), to Kareoke which is always a popular way of humiliating oneself. After that Rob gave me some money to take a cab back to my hotel (which wasn't as awkward as I thought it would be), and I retired to my room. thing is I couldnt understand the place! You need your card to turn on the lights - you put your card into this slot and the lights go on. I found the AC (yay!) and tried to turn off the lights, but if you take out your card, the AC turns off too! I tried to find a way to turn off the lights and not the AC, but couldn't, so opted to sleep with the lights on and turn them off at about 2 or 3am. i woke up this morning at 6am, and now Im killing time til 9 when I meet the teacher again and we're off to Miyake.
So I don't know when I'll get the internet again...I will do my best to get it all as soon as possible, but there are no promises!
Later peeps
-C

No comments: